Saturday, May 1, 2010

Sympathy Cry

Tonight the kids were exploring and playing on Nicholas' new loft bed that has a desk and shelves underneath. I must say, it is pretty darn cool and I'm an adult! The kids thought it was just awesome! Anyway, they were playing away in his room while I was cooking dinner. All of the sudden I heard Nicholas' start crying (the I'm hurt cry). Maggie came out of the room and I heard the door slam shut. She stood in the living room sobbing and I could hear Nicholas in the room crying. All I could think was, "What happened to him that is so terrible that she is crying?" I was sure he was bleeding or something. When I got into the room I found Nicholas standing next to one of the drawers in his desk. He was holding his fingers and looking at the drawer, still crying. I gathered that his fingers got smashed by the look on his face. After examining his fingers and concluding that he was absolutely fine, I turned my attention to Maggie, who was still sobbing. In fact, she was crying so hard that she was doing that "hiccup cry" where you can't quite catch your breath. I kept asking her if she was okay and she just continued to cry. So there we are, the three of us, and both of the kids are BAWLING. It took some time to get them calmed down but I finally got out of them that Maggie accidentally smashed Nicholas' fingers in the drawer. She felt so bad that it sent her into hysterical cries. I felt so bad for both of them, but it was very sweet to see how much they cared about each other. When they were both tear free, Nicholas said, "See, I'm fine." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment