Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Nicholas' Language


Nicholas. As I sit here and think about my six year old boy there are so many things I always want to remember. One particular thing is his voice and the funny things he says on a daily basis. Since I can remember, Nicholas has ALWAYS had a unique "twang" to his voice. I'm not even sure I'd call it a "twang" but maybe a "language." Mark has always had his own language as well. I call it Weldyisms. When Nicholas was very young and really getting into his passion for trucks and vehicles he would say, "Biiiiiiig Riiiiiiiiggg!" It wasn't a yell, but instead a very throaty almost caw like sound. There was also somewhat of a "twang" to his voice when he said this. Little by little, the cute "biiiiiig riiiiiiig" transformed into other forms of Weldyisms. When referring to his Thomas the Train characters, for Harvey he would say, "Harrrrrrr-vey!" For Mavis he would say, "Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-vis!" A friend of mine once said he was pretty sure Nicholas would be a sports announcer someday.

Now when he has a conversation with someone he might say, "That is BAD news, right?" Often times he will put a "right" on the end of a question. At a t-ball game: "I'm doin good, right?" At home, "I'm strong, right?" He also adds a "for real?" to many conversations. For example, "Hey Nicholas we are going to swing outside." Nicholas: "For real?" Or "I like dogs." "For real?" He so badly wants to be just like his dad and sometimes the things he says are straight out of Mark's mouth. When he can't believe something that has just happened he says, "Gee-pa-pa!" This is a made up expression of Mark's that Nicholas has picked up quickly. Instead of "gee-pa-pa" he may say, "gee-zip!" This can be used interchangably with gee-pa-pa.

One of the things I loved so much about Mark when we first met was that he was so funny. EVERYTHING he said made me laugh. I am so happy that Nicholas is destined to have this same trait as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment