Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day

Today is Valentine's Day. I wanted to do something a little different and fun for the kids, so we made heart shaped pizzas. The kids could put anything they wanted on their pizzas. I let them choose from the ever popular and plain cheese, pepperoni, black olives, mushrooms, pineapple and ham. Much to my surprise they both picked black olives and pineapple! What a combination! Ha ha! When the pizzas were done, they each ended up eating one piece. Nice. At least they enjoyed it while it lasted.

After dinner, Maggie was determined to put on a "magic show." She saw an episode of Caillou where he did a magic show and she really wanted to make me disappear. She decided that we needed a hat, a magic wand and a cape. So we found an army style hat of mine, a straw from her princess cup and her John Deere pink fleece blanket from her bedroom. We were set.

While we begin our magic show, Nicholas and Daddy are watching the Daytona 500. Mark is frustrated with his racer, Kevin Harvick, and saying things like, "Oh come on! You need to get it movin' Harvick!" Nicholas is very seriously just as frustrated saying, "Oh, that makes me so mad! Harvick! Come on!" They are enthralled.

To begin our magic show, I am the magician and Maggie is the audience. First, I make a marker disappear. I waved it around in the air and then put it behind my back and stuck it in the top of my pants. Mark mumbles, "Kids, you better not use that marker for awhile." Nice honey. The next thing is to make a pencil disappear, which I do much the same way. This time I think I put it in my back pocket. Maggie is wanting more "magic" and I'm just not sure what to do. Ah! The coin behind the ear trick! I can do that one! All I had was a nickel and I told Maggie I needed a volunteer, someone to help. She said, "You aren't going to make me disappear are you?" I assured her I wouldn't make her disappear and she agreed to be my helper. :) I "magically" pulled the nickel from behind her ear and she was amazed. She immediately wanted to try it. So I'm sitting there as Maggie is trying to pull the nickel from my ear...but first she is trying to put it in my ear. I mean to tell you she is trying her hardest to SHOVE this nickel into my ear canal. I reminded her that it comes from BEHIND my ear. She tries a few times then gives up and wants to be the magician. We went back and forth for quite awhile taking turns being the magician. We made mommy disappear (under the John Deere blanket), Wrigley disappeared, and even Daddy and Nicholas disappeared. All of this going on while Mark and Nicholas are discussing the going on's of the Nascar race. Nicholas standing with his hands on his hips, shaking his head and sauntering back and forth saying, "Aw Harvick, come on!" What 5 year old does this??

For Valentine's Day I don't need a huge bouquet of flowers or a giant heart filled with chocolate. All I really wanted was to spend the day with my family just being us. Making heart pizzas and doing magic shows was the perfect end to a perfect day!

No comments:

Post a Comment