Saturday, February 6, 2010

Quethtionths and Thecretths


Lately Maggie has been really into asking questions and telling secrets. But, of course, she can't really say her s's so it's "quethtionths and thecretths." The questions are a major stall tactic. At bedtime she tells me, "Mommy I have some quethtionths." So I tell her, "Okay Maggie, just one more question." "No, Mommy, 8 more quethtionths." She comes up with all kinds of stuff..."Is it dark outside? Will Iris be here tomorrow? Do I have a booga (remember the New Jersey accent too) in my nose?" All of these "quethtionths" come last minute. It amazes me how she can come up with this stuff so quickly.

The other night she came waltzing into our room at 4 am. She was WIDE awake. I put her in bed with me and she snuggled right in, wide eyed. I told her it wasn't morning yet and she needed to try to go back to sleep. It was quiet for a moment, then she whispers..."Mommy, I have quethtionths." In my half consious state I said, "What Maggie?" She whispers, "How many people are going to be at your birthday party tomorrow?"

"I don't know, Maggie. Go back to sleep." There is silence for a minute or two. Then I hear, "Mommy?" "Yes, Maggie?" "Is it your birthday yet?" "Yes Maggie, it's my birthday now. It's time to sleep sweetie." Before I knew it, we were both asleep again. At the moment I remember thinking, "Oh Lord, she has questions at 4 am. All I want to do is sleep! It's my birthday for crying out loud!" But once I was fully awake and I think back to the moment, it makes me smile to think of my little girl "athking quethtionths" at 4 am. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment